Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Next Big Thing Blog Hop

What is the working title/title of your book?
The Rapture of Avery Maye is the first in the Chronicles of Eirny. It’s already out. I’m currently working on Blood of Eirny, which is the second in the same series. I’m also working on another untitled book in the same universe, but not the same series.

Where did the idea come from for the book?
I'm known to have some seriously crazy and vivid dreams. I had a dream that I woke up with a whole bunch of people that I didn’t know in my house. I told them to leave, but they said they lived there. As it turned out, it was a duplicate house on a completely different world. After that night, I kept dreaming about different parts of this same place, so I decided to just write it all down. Once I started writing down these dreams, characters came to me. Then, events started coming to me as well. The rest is history.

What genre does your book fall under?
It’s a young adult sci-fantasy.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Hmm. This is a tough one.

Avery – Avery is generally calmer and more rational than the others. That doesn’t mean that she’s completely collected and perfect, however. She’s patient and loving, but she will defend her friends and family until death. She’s very accepting of those around her, and she tries to give people a chance, even when everyone else believes they don’t deserve it. She believes there’s good in everyone, and she wants everyone to have that chance to prove it. Physically, she has long brown and red-streaked hair and green eyes. She’s very slim and petite. I’d kinda like to see Emily Blunt in her role.

Alec – Alec is very loving and protective of those he cares about, but he can also be quite hot-headed and a royal pain in the rear. He has good intentions, but sometimes he can come off as kind of a jerk. He’s strong and capable, but he has obvious soft spots. He’s a bit confused, and he’s trying to figure out what he wants out of life. Physically he’s strong and muscular. He’s has blue-black hair and blue eyes. All the outdoor work has also given him a pretty nice tan. Christ Hemsworth could be fun in this role. He’d have to break out the hair dye, though.

Darian – Darian is the ultimate protector. He is powerful both physically and magically, and he will use that power in any way he can to keep those he loves safe, sometimes even when they don’t want him to. He’s a bit of a loner, as he’s spent thousands of years by himself, but he’s trying hard to change that. He can sometimes act impulsively when those he cares about are threatened, but he can be rational and strategic if the situation calls for it. Though he might need to be reminded that rationality is required in some circumstances. Physically, he’s very tall. He has shoulder-length brown hair and green eyes. I really would like to see James McAvoy in this one, even if the height doesn’t quite match up. If not, Alexander Skarsgard can get hair dye and contacts, yes?

Krystle – I know I said Alec, is hot-headed earlier, but Krystle really makes him look tame. She’s very cautious and suspicious of new people. Once she gets to know you, however, she is one of the best friends you could ever ask for. She’s very intelligent and extremely handy. She spends most of her time inventing and building things. I’ll be honest; I don’t think any actress would measure up to the full awesome-ness that is Krystle. She would have to be played by my friend Krystle, the person she was written after.

Jackie – Jackie is the healer of the group. She is a fantastic friend. She’s very patient and very observant. I really wish we could have visited her more in the first book, but I hope to see more of her in the following books. Just like with Krystle, I really don’t see anyone else playing her part. She would have to be played by my friend Jackie.

Darcie – Oh, my. Where to start? Darcie is very complicated. She’s still learning who she is and what type of person she wants to be. She can be very devious and manipulative, but she can also be very observant and helpful … when she wants to be. She simply wants to make a better life for herself and her brother, Josh. She would do absolutely anything she can to make sure that happens, even if it hurts others. She’s very misguided. I think that would be the best way to put it. Darcie is stunningly beautiful and has long, straight, black hair and black eyes. Ashley Greene would make a fun Darcie.

Josh – Josh is extremely manipulative of everyone around him, including his sister, Darcie. He doesn’t have the patience to think things through, but that almost never stops him from trying anyways. He is constantly coming up with schemes to make his life better. But, he’s very stubborn and can’t be talked out of plans once he has decided on them. Like Darcie, he has black hair and black eyes. Ian Somerhalder would be fun to watch in this part.

Arzamael – Arzamael isn’t mentioned much in the first book, but he’s a very important person in Avery’s world. He plays a much larger role in the second. He’s extremely determined to make sure that Avery reaches her full potential. He’s also her greatest protector. He’s very strategic and level-headed. Arzamael is slim and appears more delicate than Alec and Darian, but he is toned and strong. He has longer silvery-blonde hair that reaches his cheekbones. Avery compares him to a Roman statue. I know he’s not an actor, but I see Alex Band from his Calling days in Arzamael’s part. If Alex isn’t available, Jamie Campbell Bower, if you can talk him out of over-acting.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
One sentence? Oh, gee ...

Avery was granted a second chance at life after she was taken from her home and brought to a whole new world, where she discovers that paradise isn’t always what it’s cracked up to be.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
The Rapture of Avery Maye is self-published and available ebook and print. The other two will probably be self-published as well.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
It took me 8 months to go from start to finish with the Rapture of Avery Maye. Blood of Eirny, I started three months ago, and it’s almost done. The currently untitled one I started a month ago.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
I’m not really sure. I’m not sure it could compare.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?
I really just thought the idea would be cool to put on paper. I’d had months of dreams about this world, and really wanted to share it.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
I think it’s a fascinating balance. It holds truths that I believe are important, be it issues or lessons, but it holds enough fantasy to help you escape for a while.

Pingback:
Cat Miller

Next week's blogs:

Ruthi Kight
Jason Ellis
Eric Benoit

No comments:

Post a Comment