Sunday, February 17, 2013

Baby by JK Accinni


Today, I finished Baby by JK Accinni! First, I'd like to say that this book kept me sane throughout my move! It was a fantastic escape from that obnoxious "real life" bit!

Netty is a teenager fleeing from an abusive marriage. She returns to her childhood home, which stands in ruins. She discovers Baby, an alien creature, in a cave, barely hanging on to life. Baby and Netty heal each other and form a fascinating bond. Soon, they meet Wil, a man looking to start his own life. Together, the trio  rebuilds Netty's family farm and even build a new life together. Unfortunately, it's not long before Netty's abusive husband returns to destroy what happiness they built.

The first thing that I noticed, and the thing that really shines, about this book is the originality of the story. There are countless aliens on Earth stories out there. Some of them even portray those aliens as innocent friends, but none are quite like Baby! The physical and emotional changes these characters go through are absolutely extraordinary!

I also adored the combination of an overall simplistic lifestyle with complicated problems and complicated story. It definitely had me on the edge of my seat in places, but I was never completely overwhelmed. I also have a serious soft spot for stories that take place in simpler times, so bonus points from me there!

If you have ever been in an abusive relationship, there are parts of this book that are extremely difficult to read from an emotional standpoint. This author really knows how to tug at emotions, both good and bad. The good times are amazing, and the bad times are absolutely horrific.

If you haven't read this book yet, you need to pick this one up! You won't regret it! I can't wait to start the second!

No comments:

Post a Comment