Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Purgatory Reign by LM Preston

I'm not sure where to begin! I adored this book! It had everything I look for! I was blessed to be given an ARC copy for review, and I have to say, it makes me a bit sad that a lot of people couldn't read this book yet. Yes! It was that good!

When a girl dies in his arms, Peter Saints's life is really thrown through a loop. He is immediately sent on a journey that seems a bit impossible, but he is strong and determined.

Peter might be young, but he has a past that makes him seem so much older. People seem to die all around him, and like anyone else would, he fully blames himself for it. He's a bit jaded and can be a bit of a jerk at times, but you know what? I probably would be too if I were in his shoes. The best way to keep people from falling into the death trap that seems to surround you would be to scare them the heck away! The important thing is that we always know that underneath all the anger, fear, and pain, he is a great guy and a fascinating character. 

Along the way, he meets a few friends, and many, MANY foes. His friends, while weak in some ways, have definite strengths, both in their actions in the book and as characters from a reader's standpoint. They are realistic enough that I could even see pieces of them in my own friends. They pull him through even though toughest scrapes. Most importantly, they both teach him things about himself and everything around him. When I pick up a book of any kind, I'm all about the life lessons! I look for these! I truly enjoyed the development of Peter's character once his friends were brought into the picture.

The world that LM Preston created is terrifying! Why? Because it's just like ours. I'm probably going to be looking at people a bit funny for a week, wondering if there's a creepy demon riding on their shoulders.

I particularly enjoyed learning about the secret societies. They were well-thought out and well-rounded. I was given enough information to not be completely lost, but not so much that I'm not genuinely curious. I finished the book hours ago, and I already want to know more.

I truly enjoyed this story. It has everything. Action that kept me on the edge of my seat, love that I found believably flawed and yet beautiful at the same time, loss that really tore at my heart, lessons that keep me thinking after I put it down, friendships that only added to the character development, and tons of intriguing paranormal story line woven in to keep me wanting more. I seriously can't wait until the next one! The wait is going to be torture!

No comments:

Post a Comment